The Value of Growing Petchoa SuperCal®

Last winter I wrote a blog post about this relatively new genus and series. Now that the growing season has begun for next spring, it’s definitely worth revisiting the SuperCal series as they continue to grow in demand and popularity.

SuperCal Terracotta
What makes SuperCal unique is that they’re a genetic cross between the Petunia and Calibrachoa genera. What makes them a value is that the cross brings the best characteristics of each genus to the series, and pretty much gets rid of the icky traits. Examples: Large showy flowers (petunia genetics), non-sticky leaves (Calibrachoa), flower power (both), tolerance to high soil pH (petunia), self-cleaning plants (both), excellent performance in both cool and warm environments (both).


SuperCal Neon Rose
We conducted a thorough container trial of the SuperCal’s this summer at our facility here in Rochester, NY. Our unusually hot and dry summer really put this series to the test, and I must say we were very pleased with the overall results. The advantage for growers is the SuperCal’s can be grown cool, so that’s a nice energy savings. For the end user, the good news is they performed exceptionally well in high heat and direct sun! The claim of self-cleaning was evident in our trials throughout the summer. We never had to deadhead the plants – EVER. Consider that a nice energy savings on the consumer side!
 
My favorite of the series is Neon Rose. The containers were packed with flowers and the color really popped – two great traits. Rest assured there are several other colors that round out the series, such as new Blushing Pink, Blue, Cherry, Terracotta, Violet, and more.

I could go on and on about the SuperCals… and I will, but not today! You’ll be seeing more details about the SuperCal series as we progress towards spring. As a professional grower, if you haven’t added the SuperCal’s to your product line, here is a strong ‘heads up’ to consider them. The liners are available through our Plug & Liner program. 

SuperCal Blue
For home gardeners, be sure to ask for the SuperCal’s by name at your local garden center next spring. We are also working on a home gardener mail order transplant program that will include the SuperCal’s. Details of the program should be available by late November.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to purchase Cherry and Blue SuperCal Hybrid Petchoa seeds, do you have these available for sale?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
elfman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I have a SuperCal Blue. I'm in Central Texas (Austin) and recently we've had extremely heavy rainfalls. From what I can tell, these plants require a lot of water (daily watering if no precipitation) if left in hanging baskets.

NEET said...

Does anyone know if I can pinch out my Supercal Neon Rose to stop it becoming too leggy.

Harris Seeds Ornamentals said...

Hi NEET - Yes, you can pinch the SuperCal varieties. Pinching them stimulates branching, resulting in a bushier plant habit filled with flowers.

Anonymous said...

I live in Des Moines, Iowa, is there someplace close that I can purchase these beautiful Petchoa SuperCal plants? Dee Tingle

Unknown said...

Would love to buy some seeds when they are available. I have a hanging pot of cherry and blue wit a very few of the yellow would love more.

Unknown said...

I bought 8 of these super cal varieties, as I didn’t want to spend all my time dead heading. I was told that these don’t need any maintenance, and still thrive well in heavy rain.
THIS IS NOT TRUE. From my experience these plants need dead heading more so than the normal petunia. They require lots of hard daily work, pinching and cleaning off dead petunias. I was very disappointed

Post a Comment